I know what you did last summer…opening all those insecure ports in your security groups to quickly troubleshoot that nasty bug, then in the rush to close this issue, forgot to close back the gate! AWS Config is your friend then 🙂
AWS Config Rules is built on top of AWS Config and it allows you to get notified or have action taken when a configuration change is made where it breaches the AWS best practice rules or any of your own set of rules.
Here is the video session on this and the main goodies as well as important notes I found:
- It is a change control and auditing solution completely automated! No need for scripts, data store or tracking done by you.
- You can troubleshoot and run a time travel like view through your resources, their state and relationships to any other dependent resources exiting through any point in time, including any change or deletion done.
- Your data is highly reusable: You get a JSON formatted record of any change to your resources, and where relevant it compatible with the relevant AWS describe commands so you can use that match for validation scenarios.
- Powerful correlation: It will use CloudTrail to show you who and when change a resource.
- Easily expandable: You create your own rules through AWS Lambda using any language it supports. Rule verifications are triggered based on time or AWS API event (tag created, instance deleted, etc)
- Targeted: You easily get a report of what changed when, resources that exist while they shouldn’t or are missing.
- Turn events into data by routing AWS Config events SNS notifications into your own event repository in real time.
- Coverage: Everything EC2, VPC and CloudTrail related, and now the holy grail: IAM, so now you can dig into who added that policy, or detect when an admin user has been added where it shouldn’t have been.
- Availability: AWS Config is available everywhere and AWS Config rules is only available in North Virginia.
- Spread: Regional. You need to run and review it in each region separately.. Not quiet as powerful if it were account centered..
- Pricing: Right here!
Slides Decks is here: